veteran news anchor Noli by CastroThe withdrawal from the senatorial race of 2022 less than a week after the filing of his certificate of candidacy has generated a buzz online on social networks.
ABS-CBN News reported that he had changed his mind and determined that it would be better for him to serve the Filipinos as a journalist.
While De Castro is known to be a media personality, he entered the political arena as a senator from 2001 to 2004 and as vice president from 2004 to 2010 under the Arroyo administration.
He announced that even if he stepped down from the 2022 election, he would continue to serve the public as a journalist and be the “voice of the public”.
“Isinumite ko ang aking kandidatura sa Comelec noong Biyernes. Ngunit nagkaroon ng pagbabago ang aking plano, ”said De Castro.
“Kasabay de pagdarasal à Poong Nazareno, napag-isip-isip kong makatutulong ako sa pagbibigay ng boses sa ating mga kababayan sa pamamagitan ng pamamahayag,” he added.
De Castro thanked the Aksyon Demokratiko party and his flag bearer for having accepted him as a senatorial candidate before.
Mayor of Manila Isko Moreno Domagoso, party flag bearer and presidential aspirant, said he respected De Castro’s decision and wished him good luck.
“Vice-pres. Noli has personal reasons for giving up his Senate mandate, which we respect. In truth, when my team convinced him to run for the Senate, he had been thinking about it for a long time, ”said the head of the city.
“We respect his decision to forgo his return to national politics, and wish him good luck as we know that he will continue to have the best interests of our people, as Pambansang Kabayan, in his heart,” added Domagoso .
President Aksyon Demokratiko Ernest Ramel said De Castro would continue to be a member of the party.
De Castro returned to broadcasting after completing his tenure as Vice-President in 2010. He hosted Channel 2’s flagship show “TV Patrol” and hosted a morning radio show on DZMM Teleradyo.
He started his career as a journalist in 1976 under RPN and then transferred to ABS-CBN in 1986.
De Castro’s decision to withdraw his senator’s COC drew various reactions from some Filipinos on local Twitter.
Karen Davila in ‘TV Patrol’
Some online users have referenced Karen davilaLyca Gairanod’s viral reaction when she found out they shared the same birthdate before.
– Gab 🏳️🌈 (@twitnigab) October 13, 2021
– Hoswah (@ Joshie0F5C) October 13, 2021
“‘Di pa umiinit upuan ni Karen Davila her TV Patrol eh haha,” another Twitter user commented.
Davila’s return to “Television patrolWas announced a day after De Castro left the program to pursue his candidacy for the Senate.
She anchored the ANC’s “The World Tonight” before returning to the flagship newscast. It is now taken over by senior journalist Pia Gutierrez who works with Tony Velasquez.
On the candidacy of Karla Estrada for the seat of the Chamber
Other Twitter users mentioned that of Karla Estrada candidacy for a seat in the House after learning of De Castro’s withdrawal.
The host “Magandang Buhay” is a third candidate on the Tingog party list. Its current representative in the House of Representatives voted to deny ABS-CBN, its home network, a new franchise.
“I’m telling you, @ Estrada21Karla. You can also opt out ”, a Twitter user noted.
ABS-CBN said it respects Estrada’s decision and wished her good luck with her new business.
Some KathNiel fans, or fans of the couple Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla, have said they will withdraw their support for the couple if they “participate in campaign programs” involving the party roster.
READ: KathNiel Fans Withdraw Support As Karla Joins Party List Blocked Franchise