Filipino viewers expressed their gratitude to Television patrol for his public service decades after announcing the final broadcast of his Regional network group (RNG) across the country on August 28.
ABS-CBN management has previously announced that it will lay off workers at its companies and subsidiaries effective August 31 following the non-renewal of its franchise in Congress, which has permanently shut down its television, radio services. and digital.
In separate statements, ABS-CBN announced that TV Patrol’s 12 regional programs will broadcast their final news broadcasts after more than three decades of service to the Filipino people.
The post on the TV Patrol page also featured photos of their longtime presenters who provide viewers in the provinces with local and national news and information in their own dialects.
“Put yourself on a regional morning show with commentary on what I have on my mind regarding questions and messages,” the post read.
“Maraming salamat sa paglilingkod, mga Kapamilya. Baunin ninyo ang aming paggalang and pagmamahal, ”he added.
In addition to TV Patrol, ABS-CBN RNG will also stop producing new episodes for its nine morning shows and public service initiatives.
The 12 regional TV Patrol channels that bid farewell to their viewers are:
- TV Patrol North Luzon (Baguio, Dagupan, Ilocos, Isabela and Pampanga)
- Bicol TV Patrol (Naga, Legazpi)
- Palawan TV Patrol
- Southern Tagalog Television Patrol (CALABARZON)
- TV Patrol Central Visayas (Cebu, Dumaguete, Bohol)
- TV Patrol Negros (Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental)
- TV Patrol Panay (Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan, Antique, Guimaras)
- TV Patrol Eastern Visayas (Samar, Leyte)
- TV Patrol North Mindanao (Misamis Oriental, Misamis Occidental Lanao Del Norte, CARAGA, Dipolog)
- TV Patrol South Central Mindanao (SOCSKSARGEN, Cotabato)
- TV Patrol Southern Mindanao (Davao), and
- Chavacano TV Patrol (Zamboanga)
In addition to the 12 local TV patrol newscasts, ABS-CBN Regional will also end its morning shows. Also concerned are public service initiatives rooted in health, education, the environment and livelihoods, such as the “Grand Halad sa Kapamilya”. https://t.co/ROB593htKB
– RP ABS-CBN (@ABSCBNpr) Aug 26, 2020
Subscribers and supporters of programs in these areas then expressed their gratitude to ABS-CBN RNG for their hard work in keeping them up to date with current affairs and national affairs.
Others continued to hope that they would soon be back on the air.
As they aired for the last time, members of ABS-CBN RNG took to social media to say goodbye to their viewers and also paid tribute to the teams behind their news programs.
Job cuts after job cuts
Several notable ABS-CBN reporters were also sacked following the shutdown.
In an August 26 tweet, the ANC anchor Christian Esguerra announced that it will only work with ABS-CBN and ANC until September 30.
“Will only be with ABS-CBN and ANC until September 30, after being kicked out. Until then, we will continue with real journalism without BS,” Esguerra said.
If you find value in our daily life #ANCMattersOfFact interviews, please watch the program while it lasts. Will be with ABS-CBN and ANC only until September 30, after being shown the door. In the meantime, we will continue with real journalism without BS.
– Christian Esguerra (@IanEsguerra) Aug 26, 2020
In a three-minute video on August 25, a veteran TV reporter and host Bernadette Sembrano also shared that she had received a call telling her that she would be fired as a field reporter.
The video also featured photos and clips of Sembrano’s memorable experiences in her fieldwork and she also expressed her thoughts on the situation there.
“I remain grateful. Thank you for my many years as a field journalist and I am a changed person through my work in the field, ”she said.
I got a call this morning, I was fired as a field reporter. Pero at the end of the day, marami pa ring mga…
Last July, a seasoned journalist These Drilon was among the first to inform the public that she also lost her job.
“I lost mine too,” Drilon noted on Twitter.
Meanwhile, ABS-CBN reporter Jervis Manahan also paid tribute to the cameramen he has worked with who are also on their last day with the broadcast giant on Friday.
Today is Kuya Edwin’s last working day, after 24 illustrious years as a cameraman of @ABSCBNNews.
He is the cameraman who is not a live report like Kapamilya, and the reporter who is also kasama niya and who is the best cameraman.
Pagpupugay, Kuya Edwin! ❤️💚💙 pic.twitter.com/Rtsck4hTva
– Jervis Manahan (@JervisManahan) August 28, 2020
Huling Buwan was filmed by kong cameraman with Kuya Ronnie. Dalawang was designed with ABS-CBN. Nakasama ko siya halos of all ko blankets. And the news reports of hindi mabubuo ang the news reports ko kung hindi dahil sa kanya.
Matinding pasasalamat, Kuya Ronnie! ❤️💚💙 pic.twitter.com/AdSUt2DzMl
– Jervis Manahan (@JervisManahan) August 28, 2020
Economists have previously warned the government against the impact of ABS-CBN’s franchise denial on the economy amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.
In a landmark decision on July 10, 70 lawmakers denied the network’s request for a new franchise for the next 25 years, resulting in the employment of thousands of workers across the country.
Following reports of the nation’s recession on August 6, Dean Ronald mendoza from the School of Government of Ateneo de Manila University specifically cited One of the main causes is the shutdown of ABS-CBN.
Some journalists also shared stories on how the shutdown of the country’s largest media network affects Filipinos in remote areas that only ABS-CBN signal can reach.
“Virtual hug, Kapamilya”
Friday the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines thanked the regional stations for their decades of service.
“To our colleagues at ABS-CBN, our full respect and support. Thank you for your dedication and service, ”he said.
The group also deplored the job losses of colleagues and also criticized the attack on democracy.
“Today, hundreds of our colleagues, including our members, are losing their jobs, joining thousands of others without jobs after a vindictive president’s legislative watchdogs shut down the country’s largest network by denying him a new franchise, ”said the NUJP.
“Losing regional stations will make this worse several times. It is clear that democracy is under siege, by the government no less, as evidenced by the relentless assaults on the critical and independent media, and the continued attacks on the fundamental rights and freedoms of the people, ”he added.